September 1, 2015
Contact Valerie Taylor 305-323-6072 email@example.com
Zoe Flowers 844-962-6462 x706 firstname.lastname@example.org
Harrisburg, PA (September 1, 2015) – The Women of Color Network, Inc. (WOCN, Inc), a national organization of women of color advocates and activists working to eliminate violence against women and families, will celebrate its one year anniversary as an independent organization by hosting a series of events in October to commemorate National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. WOCN, Inc.’s anniversary events include: the release of Women of Color Voices Magazine Fall 2015 edition; a Community Leadership Roundtable in Harrisburg, PA; a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and Open House in partnership with the Harrisburg Chamber of Commerce and Startup Harrisburg; an interview with domestic violence experts on “Why Do Some Men Batter” on the monthly WOCN Inc. Radio Show Hour on Blog Talk Radio; and the release of WOCN Inc. 2015 Facts and Stats booklets containing national data specific to violence and women of color.
The Women of Color Network Inc. (WOCN Inc.), previously a project of the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV) and Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV), was created as a means to address the unique challenges women of color advocates and activists face within the violence against women movement. The newly independent non-profit organization is a national voice for women of color domestic and sexual violence advocates who work across the United States, U.S. Territories and Tribal Nations, and provides training and technical support to local and national organizations. The WOCN, Inc., with staff, Board and consultants all across the country, supports women and families by fighting against all forms of global violence and oppression.
“Throughout this first year, we have continued to build our national presence by launching our #JaggedJustice project against the backdrop of high profile cases of police violence, sexual violence and domestic violence impacting women and men of color. We focus on connecting the dots across all forms of intimate partner and community violence that impact communities of color and other marginalized populations. Given the grave statistics – that 4 out of every 10 American Indian/Alaskan Native woman and African American woman, and 1 in 2 multiracial woman will be a victim of physical violence, rape and stalking in their lifetimes – it is important that we declare that the lives of women of color matter,” said WOCN Inc. CEO Tonya Lovelace-Davis.
In its first year, WOCN, Inc. hosted such national events as its biannual National Call to Action Summit and Conference Coming Full Circle: Survivors and Communities of Color Leading the Way to Justice and Healing” held in May 2015 in San Diego, California with close to 300 attendees and featured Carrie Bettinger-Lopez, the White House Advisor on Violence Against Women. Moving forward, WOCN Inc. will continue its role as a leading national advocate, and will grow its local presence in Harrisburg, PA where it is headquartered.
WOCN Inc. Sponsored Events
- October 1, National online release of Women of Color Voices Magazine Fall 2015 Digital Edition
- October 1, 5:00-7:00 PM EST, Women of Color Network Inc. Community Leadership Roundtable Meeting (By invitation only)
- October 15, 8:00-9:00 PM EST, WOCN, Inc. Blog Talk Radio Show Hour on IDVAACRadio.com, Featured Topic: “Why Do Some Men Batter.” The show is in partnership with Institute on Domestic Violence in the African American Community
- October 16, 4:30-8:00 PM Women of Color Network, Inc. Ribbon Cutting and Open House 1519 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA
- October 23, 2:30-4:00 PM EST #JaggedJustice Call for Communities of Color: Connecting the Dots Across Violence
- October 26, Release of WOCN Inc. 2015 Fact and Stats Booklets: Domestic Violence Across Communities of Color, Sexual Violence Across Communities of Color, Violence Across LGBTQ Communities of Color, and Reproductive Health Across Communities of Color
WOCN Inc. Featured Guest Speaking Engagements
- October 2, Black Lives Matter Town Hall Meeting organized by Pennsylvania NOW
- October 15, 8:00-10:00 AM Harrisburg Diversity Forum
- October 28, 2:00- 3:30 PM EST Community Organizing and Prevention Work Webinar Hosted by the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
The Women of Color Network, Inc.
The Women of Color Network, Inc. is a national grassroots advocacy organization that focuses on addressing the unique challenges facing women of color advocates and activists within the violence against women movement. WOCN provides and enhances leadership capacity and resources that promote the activities of women of color advocates and activists within the Sovereign Nations, the United States and U.S. Territories to eliminate violence against women and families.
WOCN Inc.’s mission broadly includes fighting against all forms of violence against women, which includes: domestic and sexual violence; human trafficking and police brutality. WOCN Inc.’s work is grounded in the understanding of violence in the global context of colonialism, imperialism, capitalism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, and other forms of oppression that intersect with violence against women of color.
Organizational Email: email@example.com
Check us out on Facebook: Women of Color Network
To print this information: WOCNIncAnniversary